Turmeric Fried Rice Recipe
Watching the segment of BBC Food UK’s video of Hersha Patel cooking Egg Fried Rice left me speechless! My initial reaction was…is she really serious? Is this recipe prepared by BBC Food? Anyway I thought, to each its own, that’s how they cook rice, it worked for them; although of course it made me laugh 🙂
So after a week of watching different reactions on that video, including the most famous review of Uncle Roger (Nigel Ng), I decided to cook my version of fried rice.
For most Filipinos we cook fried rice for breakfast because we have a lot of left over rice from previous evening’s dinner. Also, while growing up we were taught not to waste a single grain of rice as farmers labored hard to grow and produce this precious crop, thus cook the left overs 🙂 This thought may not be shared by some of my countrymen but in our family, that’s one reason why we cook fried rice.
Going back to my story, I love fried rice and have tasted different versions from different countries, I’ve visited, and so I came up with my own “fried rice fusion” recipe. I kinda love Indian spices especially fresh Curry leaves and Turmeric Powder, I think I was influenced when I stayed both in north and south India for almost a month, thus I created my own TURMERIC FRIED RICE Recipe.
To prepare you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 cups of left over rice (as long as it is not freshly cooked)
- 1 teaspoon of pure turmeric powder
- 1/2 cup of cooked, deshelled prawns cut into small pieces ( you may replace prawn with Bacon, Sausage or Egg)
- 1 stalk of fresh curry leaves
- 1/2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon of canola oil
- a pinch of kosher salt
Cooking is quite simple, just follow these steps:
- Heat Canola oil on pan (please use stainless steel or cast iron pan it is a healthier option)
- Sautee garlic until medium brown or depends on how you like it
- Add rice and prawns, mix for a minute and then add Turmeric powder, Kosher salt and curry leaves
- Mix and fry for 5mins or longer
- Since I like my fried rice a little bit crunchy, I mix and fry it longer, you may decide on the consistency of your fried rice, so you may fry it shorter or longer than 5mins
- Serve while hot and top with fresh Curry leaves.
My finish product; apologies guys, I was in a hurry while cooking this, so you may notice that the prawn wasn’t completely deshelled LOL!! If you prefer a spicier fried rice you may adjust the measurement of Turmeric powder.
Six months ago I launched an online store and our products are all locally produced and healthy options like Turmeric Powder. So I used my Pure Turmeric Powder product for my Turmeric Fried Rice! Turmeric powder is available at groceries and spice shops; or you can contact me to purchase 🙂 As for the fresh Curry leaves, I planted a Curry tree in our garden and that’s where I get my supply, it is always fresh and 100% organic 🙂
I hope you find my fusion Turmeric Fried Rice interesting and you’ll try it very soon. If you happen to cook this please let me know if you like the recipe. Would love to hear from you, thank you!